Friday 7 October 2011

Sonnet - When I have Fears

When I have Fears
Notes
WHEN I have fears that I may cease to be
(Scared of oblivion)
Before my pen has glean'd my teeming brain,
Won’t be able to get out his ideas- arrogant?
Before high piled books, in charact'ry,
Hold like rich garners the full-ripen'd grain;
Fears he will die before his works are published
When I behold, upon the night's starr'd face,
Huge
cloudy symbols of a high romance,
Won’t be able to look at beauty or experience love
And think that I may never live to trace
Their
shadows, with the magic hand of chance;
Won’t be able to solve the mysteries of life
And when I feel, fair creature of an hour!
(His lover)
That I shall never look upon thee more,
Never have relish in the
faery power

Of unreflecting love! - then on the shore
Of the wide world I stand alone, and think
Till Love and Fame to nothingness do sink.
These last two lines are very important, because they can be interpreted in different ways. ‘Think’ represents life and ‘sink’ represents death, so they’re contrast in this last rhyming couplet emphasises the message within the poem: will Keats carry on thinking and writing or does the death idea give an impression of suicidal thoughts and depression? Is this poem negative or positive and how do the last two lines leave you feeling?
The idea of negative capability is also evident here– the last two lines create the sense of a sensory, solitary mood– separated from the landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment